Windhoek
Time is short at the Internet Cafe so this will be rapid fire. Internet has been nonfunctional at home for almost two weeks. I got an antenna and a cell phone from Peace Corps but no SIM card so I couldn't use the phone. I got a SIM card today and will be installing the antenna this week. Thursday I learned that a majority of our kids were not going to be allowed to compete at Nationals this weekend. Friday morning at 6:45 I found out that we had a ride for our one remaining athlete to go to Windhoek for the competition. Lots of dirt and paved road later I climbed out of the back of the truck in the capital. The other teachers I was with didn't want to be officials at the competition so I measured about 400 javelin throws in two days. My legs are sore. I stayed one night with the kids in the hostel and another with some other PCVs and had a great time. Good dinner, great breakfast. I bought soccer cleats for myself for my birthday at the new mall in Windhoek. I like Windhoek. Time to go home for two weeks before reconnect.

5 Comments:
Thank goodness for all those math and physics classes we took so you could be a skilled javelin measurer! Have you gotten your package from me? I sent it airmail almost three weeks ago. Hopefully it made it unmangled. And, Happy Birthday!!
You missed Dhun last night...all the Indian students and friends of Indian students filled the Great Hall almost to capacity. Some super-cute kids were there, one who sat in the middle of the table for the whole night like he was a centerpiece. One of the biggest student turnouts that I've seen in my time at TU. It was kind of like a showcase of all things Indian...culture, dances, and most excitingly, food. Dr. Sen was even there in national dress. My favorite act was the sand artist that performed and literally made pictures by throwing sand onto a lighted "canvas". The food was really good...lots of chicken, flatbread, rice, and really tasty sauces. I ate with the Lout's who caught me up with ISM, and they are doing very well.
Well, keep posting when you have time. I am loving the pictures, just to agree with everyone else.
-melanie
It's April 4th here but April 5th there! Happy birthday! We missed you last weekend in Chinese Checkers, Sparkle, Speed Scrabble, and yummy meals. Love ya!
Happy birthday, son. Maryland women just won the championship with two freshmen leading the way with two other soph's and a junior from Israel. The freshman guard hit a 3 over the 6'7" post of Duke with about 10 seconds left to force the overtime. Great game although Mom and I fell asleep during the overtime. We decided that was a sure sign we are "over the hill". It is looking likely that Coach Young is coming back to CSCS. We are excited! We love you.
Happy Birthday Brock! I've been catching up on all your posts! Wish i could update you on sports stuff, but i'm going to leave that to your family and friends! :)
way proud of you! keep singing your tunes, juke box Brock!
esther tepait
Happy Birthday Brock! We've been thinking about you all day! Hope you have a great day celebrating your day! We're busy with softball and track. Kaleb has his first track meet tomorrow. He's throwing the javelin, shot and discus. He's just glad he doesn't have to run! He had to have water drained off of his knee today -- he was watching the doctor and passed out! It was exciting! Chelci has had 2 double-header softball games. Pretty tough ones -- they one one and lost three. Hopefully that record will improve in the next couple weeks with some easy games! We have three out of town softball games and track meets this week, so we're keeping the highways busy! Take care! We love you!
Ken, Jan, Chelci, and Kaleb
Post a Comment
<< Home