Friday, October 20, 2006

14-19 October

14 October – After a six hour cram session on Thursday night the big exam was finally upon us. And it was tough. But the worst part is that there were questions on the exam that are outside the scope of the syllabus. Every year the results of the examinations are bad but I thought that at least they were fair, I feel bad for my kids that had no chance on a couple questions because I didn't teach topics that weren't on the syllabus. By my best guesses none of mine will get more than 80 out of 130 and most of the better students will be closer to 60 out of 130. That means less will probably pass than I had hoped, but if it is difficult nationwide they can adjust everyone's scores to make them more palatable. Now I get to focus on teaching my grade 9 classes how to convert units which will be a challenge and a good use of time since I've covered the whole syllabus. For the movie Friday evening I told the grade 10s that they had to bring me their textbook if they wanted to watch. All the younger kids were bellyaching about how unfair it was that they couldn't watch the movie so I finally made a compromise. If they brought me a grade 10 or 9 physical science textbook then I would let them inside. I got most of the grade 10 books back and five extras that somebody had stolen, lost, who knows but its better that I have them now. We watched The Grudge, which I knew was supposed to be scary but had gotten lukewarm reviews making it a sure bet for kids that don't care about dialogue. The movie relied on a grotesque child that had a couple of the girls screaming bloody murder every few minutes. The decibels were impressive when they really got going.

 

18 October – I haven't done too many three week stints without a shopping trip to town and this one is almost over, finally. This week has been interesting to say the least, to say more or maybe too much it has been one of the most eventful and most difficult weeks this year. On Monday, just after 7am and morning assembly, my least favorite colleague was having a case of the Mondays and decided to swear at a kid from my class for an improper hair cut. The kid was guilty, but the swearing was strike three for this teacher. Last week I had to intervene before he tried to beat N$1,20 out of each kid to help pay for paper (his salary is in excess of N$6000 per month, the kids average N$100 every three weeks). We almost had a showdown but he stood down, I payed the blood money and tried to forgive his excesses. Strike 1. This same teacher was scheduled to invigilate (proctor) the grade 10 physical science exam so he spent the twenty minutes prior to the start of the exam harassing kids about untucked shirts and other trivial offences in light of their already dire academic situation. As I walked the room to check on the kids one of the best students privately confided that she was not happy that this teacher was invigilating and displayed a look of nervous distress instead of being able to relax before an important and difficult examination. Strike 2. Then he swears at my student in front of the whole school. At first I was going to let it go, I've taken a position of non-confrontation with disciplinary issues but after a moments consideration (and arithmetic) I told him that discipline in the school is good but he need not swear at the learners. His excuse was that people use such language on television and even out President is on the record swearing (think Hisbullah, Tony Blair, Russia). I replied that such language was not appropriate at school and walked away livid. For the last two days he seems to have toned it down a little but he is outside my circle of trust and I am watching him. I hope it doesn't come to this but there is a scenario where I will be obligated to do everything I can to have him removed from his post and never allowed around children again. I keep my camera handy. Its not something that I want to do but protecting children from abuse is more important than my longevity in the Peace Corps. And I don't look good with a moustache.

 

Later in the day I had a long discussion with my class about why I don't beat them and why I won't ever beat them. Some fell asleep (its getting warmer and the kids are getting more lethargic as spring moves towards summer) but a few were really engaged and seemed to understand my position. Monday was in like a lion, out like a lamb.

 

Each day has enough trouble of its own and Tuesday was no exception. We made it through assembly without any fireworks but later in the day sparks were flying. Different teacher this time came to deliver a message from the principal (who is on leave in Windhoek) inquiring about the status of the Internet in light of the 50th anniversary coming up at the beginning of next month. I asked some questions to ascertain the nature of the inquiry and restated my position of not acting unilaterally when it comes to the computers and the Internet. I wish the Internet worked, but as long as no one cares enough to help out then I'm going to leave it. If I fix it every time then it immediately becomes expected that the volunteer will take care of it, no one ever learns to maintain the computers and Internet and you have the epitome of unsustainability. The conversation continued with none of my point being heard, I was lectured about how everyone has their duties on the duty sheet in the office and my duty is to fix the Internet so I have to go make the phone calls to get it to work again. I started trying to explain myself again but was repeatedly interrupted and ended up being reduced to pleading for one second to be heard. I think this teacher hates me right now, we had another smaller conflict last week when she demanded immediate assistance on the computers while I was helping some boys study who had done me the courtesy of making an appointment as opposed to the last minute demands of this teacher. I was not about to elevate the petty request of the teacher above the impending exam of the learners. So she hates me. And I'm totally ok with that. Back to the conversation though, it came to light that the volunteer that was here before me had actually gotten involved in this situation. To date I have refrained from any comments about the PCV that preceded me for three reasons: it was unnecessary, possibly disrespectful and if there is anyone mentioned in this blog that might find it and be offended he is the one. Today I break that rule. The Internet has not worked for a long time, partially due to my policy. But the point of my stubbornness was to allow for the hardship to develop long enough that someone would feel the need to get involved and learn how to maintain things. Instead, they got fed up with me not doing everything by myself and got the PCV that preceded me to make an international phone call to the ISP to see what the problem was. From my point of view that is the most destructive action possible, revealing the utter lack of any notion of sustainability in the previous volunteers effort to establish the computers at this school. Revisiting the situation now rekindles the intense disgust I feel and the dumbfounded shock that such a thing would happen. And I'll stop there. Another teacher was standing nearby and afterwards I explained my stance to her and she expressed full understanding and support of the necessity of a more sustainable approach. No resolution on that one yet, although I did request a meeting with the acting principal that morning during which I reiterated my perception of my role as a volunteer. She expressed some sense of agreement but has never impressed me as a leader with any real influence. But we'll keep trying, I'm going to miss another week of school to go back to the doctor at the end of the month so maybe someone will open the library for the kids in my absence.

 

Wednesday was quite as dramatic but because of the heavy hitters in the preceding days. Wednesday morning I learned that another teacher had conscripted my kids to clean my class on a regular schedule. Most teachers have set days for kids to sweep and I started the year with this arrangement until the kids showed no respect for the room and they broke the broom. Since a little dust doesn't bother me I decided to wait and see what would happen. Ideally the kids start taking some responsibility on their own and this has happened some. The upsetting part is that my authority has been undermined again. I haven't tracked down exactly what the arrangement is but I will be having more discussions with more teachers until they show me a measure of respect.

 

It wouldn't be right to end with such negativity so I will continue just a little while longer. The insects are out in full force again tonight but you can't leave the court on a missed shot and I think its best to write about something more positive. I hope TU football has good news but I haven't heard anything lately. My ear doesn't seem to be getting better so I am eager to see the doctor again at the end of the month and see what he has to say. Its not incapacitating but still painful at times. I have my grade 9 kids converting units to practice some math and they need the skill for science, I was in a grade 7 math class and they were doing the same thing. Last time I was in town I printed 100 pictures for kids and this time it will be around 75. I've also taken pictures of two babies this week, if my portfolio keeps expanding I'll have to consider a career change.

 

19 October – School just started this morning and I already have something to write about. Since I usually teach grade 10 this period I am free and another teacher is using my class, so here I am typing and editing my grade 9 end of year exam. And the news: two girls have been sent home with their parents after it was learned that they are pregnant and the disciplinary committee reported to the staff this morning about a case they dealt with yesterday. The head girl and her younger sister have both been suspended for a week for their involvement in allowing several boys to sleep in the girls' hostel. Surprisingly, the head girl will merely relinquish her title but retain the authority of a prefect despite this egregious offence. The boys were given a warning. Oh, but the boys are in grade 10 and they are writing their examinations now so they can't be suspended, so the DC gave them a warning.

 

The ensuing debate in the staff room was very one-sided. First a large contingent of the staff including those with extensive duties around the hostel questioned the severity of the punishment given to the now former head girl. How can she be left in any position of authority after breaking what must be considered one of the most important rules? Nobody seemed to be siding with the DC and their argument about not demoralizing the girl. And then a teacher asked about the punishment given to the boys. The individual offenders are known and yet they escaped scot free (Where did that expression come from?). Once another teacher broached the subject my outrage could no longer be contained. I wasn't going to get involved because the head of the DC is one of the teachers I mentioned yesterday but this is too much. How is it possible that the girls get suspended and the boys get a warning? What message does that send to the rest of the boys? Sleep in the girls hostel if you can, take advantage of as many girls as you can because the worst that happens is a warning. The girls will be suspended and sent home if found pregnant but you'll just be warned. Everyone acknowledges and bemoans the high libido of the school that has intensified with the onset of spring and yet the DC still defends the warning and effectual permission they just granted the rest of the boys to attempt the same crime. All the teachers are against the DC on this issue so I expect they will have to revisit the punishments, especially because the vast majority of the teachers are female and the sexism in the sentencing was abhorrent.

 

Check back at the end of October because I will have a chance to upload over 100 pictures from June til now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home