Wednesday, December 13, 2006

My Christmas Present to You

All that is left of the school year is a faculty meeting tomorrow morning. The year has had its ups and downs but somehow I feel mostly positive about it all. On the last day of school for the kids my class left me a note of the chalkboard that was very nice. I suppose over time I'll mostly forget the bad kids and all the trouble they caused in favor of the good ones. I took pictures of the chalkboard to help to remember.

After much practice and fine tuning I am finally ready to unveil my recipe for cookies. I've been making these every month this year to get it just right and as a Christmas present to all of you I have decided to share my culinary genius. Be warned that I expect you will have to make adjustments to this recipe. Parts of the recipe are quite precise but in general my cooking style is inherited from a long line a fabulous cooks that get by with an innate knowledge of how much is the right amount. I consider myself a novice at this art but I have spent several years as an informal apprentice to a master of the discipline. While a truly authentic rendering of this recipe requires hand mixing, it is understood that many will opt for the electric mixer. Results can not be guaranteed with such a deviation from the prescribed method.

1 cup flour
2/3 cup oatmeal
3/8 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

130 grams of margarine
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1 large heaping spoonful of peanut butter

1 chopped chocolate bar
Melt the margarine on the stove (no microwave) and mix with the sugars, egg, vanilla, and peanut butter. Mix the dry ingredients separately and stir in half to the rest of the dough. Add your chocolate and then the rest of the dry ingredients. Stir as long as it takes to make it seem uniform or until your arm gets tired. Bake at 190 degrees celsius for 12 or 13 minutes.


New photos are posted, follow the the link to the right.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Chef Blackburn,

Thank you dearly for sharing your recipe. It will be the first batch of cookies to christen my family's oven when I get back to Kansas for Christmas!

Ms. Morgan A. Hague

Wed Dec 13, 07:47:00 PM GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brock,
So good to hear your reflections on the year. I knew you were making a positive impact. Thanks for zooming in on the comments on the chalk board. Thanks for the new recipe. I will try it when we return to the USA. We will see you in Africa soon! I have the fudge made and I may pack my suitcase tonight. Love you!!
Mom

Thu Dec 14, 05:19:00 AM GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brock, glad you are getting a visit from your family and that you will have time to enjoy them--perhaps while eating your fabulous cookies. I enjoy getting to look through all of your latest photos. You looked very sharp for the 50th anniversary celebration--the gold tie I thought was the most appropriate touch. Well I will finish up my first semester here in Milwaukee on the 21st and head home the following day. No doubt we are both looking forward to familar faces and many hugs.

Merry Christmas!
Rachael

Sat Dec 16, 08:26:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home