Friday, October 21, 2005

my last day of work is tomorrow

While it is difficult to grasp the reality of moving to Namibia for two years, days like tomorrow make it more tangible. I have been temping at an insurance office for the last few months. Not exactly a dream job after studying computer science, but my filing skills have improved. For real, it has been as good of a temp job as I could have hoped for. Where else could I work with an office full of women? I even got a nice going away chili lunch with an excellent Texas sheet cake and a card from everybody.

The other big excitement this week was that I booked my flight to Philadelphia for orientation. I'll fly from Colorado Springs to Philadelphia on Sunday November 6th, which means I won't be able to get one last game of ultimate frisbee in after my swing through Kansas. Arriving on Sunday means I'll get to enjoy Philadelphia for a little while because registration doesn't start until after lunch on Monday. After a couple days of orientation I'll leave from New York at 6pm on Wednesday and land in Johannesburg at 6pm on Thursday. That will be a fun flight. On Friday I'll have a short flight up to Namibia and this whole thing will kick into high gear.

What else have I been doing to prepare? Not studying the Learn to Speak Afrikaans book I got from the library, shoveling rock and running it down the hill to the backyard in the wheelbarrow (we finished the 15 ton pile this afternoon!), not keeping up with correspondence (sorry everyone, my excuse is that I got moved at work a few weeks ago and I ended up with a smaller monitor so by the time I get home I don't want to work on a computer any longer), trying not to think about how much life will go by in America while I am in Namibia, relishing the winning TU football season and all of the well deserved accolades going Garrett Mills' way, dreaming of attending a TU bowl game not in Boise.

OK, I've got one huge complaint and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out on this. I bought the new Switchfoot CD and they put some crazy protections on the files which I haven't had the time to crack and I haven't tried to find the .dll that autorun installed that makes it not work with iTunes and therefore not go on my iPod. Anybody realize the CD was whack prior to putting it in your computer so you could copy the files before the .dll took over and want to help me out?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing a quick google doesn't fix...

Switchfoot copy protection Rant

Thu Oct 27, 10:53:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger Brock Blackburn said...

I wish it was that easy. Sony emails out their official solution. bit it doesn't work b/c the disc won't allow you to burn a copy. And they just blame the whole problem on Apple.

The files are a windows media protected format that CDex can't do anything about. The music comes out as a jumbled up mess.

Try better switchfoot rant

Fri Oct 28, 05:53:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home