PST ~ CBT
So the Peace Corps like any other good organization has tons of jargon
and acronyms to sort through. PST is for pre-service training, CBT
stands for community based training which is the next stage of our
training. Tomorrow our group of 58, yes 2 people ET'd today (early
termination) splits up by language groups to live with host families
for a month and work on our language skills and hopefully pick up some
cultural knowledge as well. I and eleven others will be in Otjibingwe
which is a small town started by the Germans in an awful place for a
town. Everyone tells me it is terribly hot there even compared to the
rest of this hot country. I am excited b/c the host family experience
should be great and the 12 of us will all live very close together so
we will all be able to hang out when we are not trying to learn about
Namibian and Herero culture from our host families.
OK, let be honest the big news right now is that TU is playing in the
C-USA championship game, unfortunately nowhere near Tulsa, but in our
first year in the conference the Golden Hurricane will be playing for
a conference title. Give Coach K more money and keep this program on
the rise. If anyone travels to the game I expect a full report and if
its on ESPN let me know the date and time as well as when our bowl
game is finalized b/c I'm going to do everything I can to watch the
game on DSTV. I think the chances are good for the bowl game so I have
been fired up about that.
Yesterday I was able to talk to my parents for 45 minutes on a
remarkably good connection. They were in the middle of eastern
colorado fighting a blizzard calling me in the middle of nowhere about
8800 miles away (thanks to the atlas on a friends iBook). Once I go to
Otjibingwe I don't know if I'll be able to correspond at all, maybe if
we go up to Karibib for a weekend. We'll spend a month in Otjibingwe,
then back to Omaruru for Christmas with the whole group and another
week of training. We'll then be in Windhoek for shopping and swearing
in as official PCV's. We all get a settling in allowance, but I don't
have a lot of shopping to do because the PCV I am replacing left the
house set up well with pots and pans and such so I am thinking about
getting a press pot (good coffee in the middle of nowhere, Brad what
is the optimum water temperature? somewhere around 185 I think) and a
chair that is a little more comfortable than the wooden desk chairs
that I have at my dinner table. It would be nice to have a good chair
to sit in a read.
For all of you readers, I have been working on Til We Have Faces,
which has been interesting and I posted a few thoughts on the
Alchemist and will post some more once I reread the book. My next
reading during December will be Under the Overpass.
Go TU!

6 Comments:
I'm pretty sure the CUSA game is on ESPN on Saturday at 11. We think we're headed to the Liberty Bowl, but I guess that's still up in the air. I hear it could also be the GMAC. -Lauren
This is Anna from Jamie's wedding.
Keep up the great updates. This is doing wonders for my nervousness! It's also helping my mother. Heard from my placement officer the other day. In two weeks I'll have assignment options but I can't leave until June now. Its very discouraging, but its better than nothing!
I hope you enjoy Til We Have Faces... I know I did.
Hey Brock!
Let me know how Under the Overpass is going. I can't wait to read it (I borrowed it from David) but I have to wait 'til finals are over. Mike (the author) is seriously one cool guy! :)
To all you blog readers: Pat and I talked with Brock yesterday (Sunday). He is alive and doing well. The Peace Corps volunteers are now participating in the mock school. Brock is teaching science and english. Last week was pretty frustrating with changes by the leadership and a lack of clarity of expectations. Brock is also living with a family at this time however the family is frequently gone to their ranch. Brock was thrilled to hear the TU news and would love to see the bowl game. He currently has no internet connection but will be back at the rest camp on Dec. 31 so he is hoping to view the game. We appreciate your interaction with Brock. He loves it too!
Hey Brock, I just had some extra time at school so I thought I would write you a quick comment. Glad to hear you're doing well, its fun to read what you're doing over there. Things are going pretty well over here in Kansas, and I hope you keep doing well in Namibia.
-Elyssa
Hey Brock! Merry Christmas - we will miss you at Gramdma's. Maybe one year we will all be there together again. Glad to hear you are doing so well!
Post a Comment
<< Home