There and Back
The second term finished a long time ago and I spent two weeks in the USA. Thats about it. Exam results were poor as usual, but that's not interesting. The last week of school I was busy with damage control, talking to as many kids as possible and doing my best to convince them to keep studying even though the latest examination makes it look like they may as well do anything besides studying. It was a little bit difficult to leave, mostly as foreshadowing to the real goodbyes that are imminent.
A mere 35 hours of travel took me from Namibia to Tulsa where I dove into a plateful of pulled pork at a little bbq restaurant close to campus. The week before the wedding was a relaxing time of research on the internet and at the TU library and then after friends got off work spending time with them. The wedding went well and then I flew to Midland to spend some time with Jenna and Lydia. The time went fast but it was good.
Two days of flying followed by two 12 hour bus rides was a bit exhausting but I am finally back in Namibia. There was really no excitement on either stretch of travel. The Delta flight from Johannesburg to Atlanta is about the worst in the whole world, bad sound, poor visibility on movies, lights that didn't work for the entire night but magically worked again in the morning. One night in Jo'burg was fine and then the taxi that took me to the bus station spent the 45 minute drive telling me about how his car had been stolen the night before.
Back in Namibia, Peace Corps close of service conference starts in a few hours but the big news when I got back was the my principal's husband passed away while I was gone. The funeral already happened but now its a big unknown to see what the school will be like when I get there next week. He was a man of enormous influence and from what I've heard the funeral was enormous and extremely long.

1 Comments:
Hey! I saw that you were in Tulsa recently!! Cool cool! I was watching the TU cable channel and saw you in a music video and had to do a double-take to realize it really was you..ha ha. Hope that life is going well!
~Kate~
Post a Comment
<< Home